Friday 18 July 2014

Captains Log 18/07/14

As some of you will know recently I have been watching through all of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, which is awesome by the way. Though I have already seen almost all of the episodes within it I find myself discovering ones I haven't seen but more importantly rediscovering characters in their full depth.

As I can watch some of the favourite episodes such as 'In The Pale Moonlight' and 'The Visitor' and still understand and know the characters that the episodes revolve around, there can always be a details or moments from previous episodes that increase or change the dynamic. Which is why I love doing this watch through, granted I only started to love it once I hit season 2, as I can get to know the characters again, what defines them, how they changed for better or for worse through the 7 seasons.

Lets take Garak for example, early on we are introduced to this idea of him being a spy but we don't see much to back up that claim. Yet as we see more of him we learn some truths about him; the most of important of which is his desire to serve his Cardassia. As early on though exiled from his homeland of Cardassia he could have all he wants by helping the Federation undermine Cardassia but he doesn't as he wouldn't betray his homeland and fellow Cardassians. Yet by season 7 he is helping the Federation crack Cardassian codes, not because he has changed or being turned by them but because it will help his Cardassia rise again. And it is noticing these motives and values in the full watch through that make it worth while but you can't be expected to watch it all again for a single episode or two you want to revisit.

No comments:

Post a Comment