Friday 14 February 2014

Lone Survivor Review.




So Lone Survivor, one hell of a war film to say the least. But, yes there is a but, watching this film I don't know if it is meant to be an action film or if it was meant to be a serious look at the face of war; and to be honest I don't think the film itself knows. I feel that this problem solely lies with the director, don't get me wrong I'm not saying he is a bad director, I just think he was out of his depth here. His previous film before this being Battleship, a blockbuster action flick, before that a load of TV episodes and before those Hancock another blockbuster.

I think if he chose one path for the film; either another action flick where you can go in and enjoy yourself. Or a serious film that explore the reality of war that leaves the spectator thinking of the harsh and stark reality of those on the front line and what they face. And this film is a mix between them, a combination that just doesn't work.

The first 45-60 minutes, in my opinion the best part if the film, pertains of the serious look at war and what those men and women face. And Berg does this really well, what I saw there placed this film high up in my favourite war films, competing with Black Hawk Down for my 3rd favourite war film. Everything about this part of the film is great and done right, we feel like we are with those men and are thinking of our own answer on problems they face, but then the shooting starts.

From the time that the first shot is fired the film goes downhill, albeit the action sequences are shot extremely well, we lose the serious look at war and descend into yet another action war film. There is the occasional moment after this that returns to the serious look at war but it is too little too late. I feel if Berg had kept the film on track from the start it would have been one of the all time great war films, with the likes of Black Hawk Down and Saving Private Ryan, but sadly it didn't.

Now you are probably thinking "so where is the big plot hole in this film, as you always find one". Well here there isn't as it is a true story and not having read it I can't comment on how well it follows the source material. And if I was to try and find one that would disrespect the memory of those who didn't survive this mission.

So, the verdict. I so wanted this film to be great as it was at the start but sadly it wasn't, so I shall be awarding this film a 7/10; but it is a must see film, for either war film enthusiasts or standard film goers.

Thank you for your time, see you in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment